We’re loud and proud about our wonky juice brand making a big impact! We’re committed to doing our part in creating a sustainable and healthy world so we can help sustain the future of people and planet. From production to packaging to products… We like to say we’re sustainable to our core (apple pun intended 😆) .
Here’s how we do it.
1. WE ARE B CORP
B Corps are businesses as a force for good, creating sustainable business models that balance people, planet and profits. We work hard to be part of this global movement of businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability.
Flawsome! is all about positive impact and being a Certified B Corp means creating a business that helps build a sustainable and healthy world for the future. As a social enterprise, we aim to make a profit like other businesses, but it’s the commitment to use those profits to create positive social change that sets us apart.
Our verified impact score is 87.3 and we are continuing to work on improving it for our re-clarification in 2024 (all B Corps must recertify every 3 years).
2. WE SAVE WONKY AND SURPLUS FOOD FROM WASTE
Currently, one third of all food grown is wasted. We envision a world where food isn’t wasted needlessly. Flawsome Drinks contributes to this vision, firstly, by educating people on the issue of food waste, secondly by making them feel good about saving food, and thirdly, by saving produce from waste and transforming it into wonderful drinks. Our mission is to save 20,000 tonnes of wonky and surplus produce by 2026. To date, we’ve saved over 34 million pieces of fruit with our drinks!
By saving wonky and surplus fruit we:
- Save resources such as energy, water and soil nutrients.
- Prevent greenhouse gas emissions associated with food waste.
- Help mitigate climate change.
- Help local farmers sell all their food.
- Promote a system where less food is wasted.
- Educate others on the solutions to prevent food waste.
Read more about the environmental impacts of food waste in our Guide to Understanding Food Waste and Climate Change.
3. WE HAVE A SUSTAINABLE SOURCING POLICY
Our sustainable sourcing policy is a key element of our sustainable leadership and forms part of our commitment to environmentally friendly business governance. It reflects our sustainability strategy to deliver more value – for our customers, consumers and shareholders – while reducing our environmental footprint at the same time. Our sustainable sourcing policy involves:
- Never asking farmers to grow fruits for us, instead we take only the wonky and surplus that would be wasted.
- Using seasonal produce, creating batches of juice based on what is in season locally.
- Sourcing 80% of our fruits from farms located within 30km to our production facility.
- Paying a fairer price, 70% of market value for grown-to-order produce, so farmers can sell everything they grow and build sustainable businesses without food waste.
4. WE ARE CARBON POSITIVE
We offset all our emissions, plus extra! This makes us carbon positive! Our all time carbon footprint is 1192 tonnes of co2, but we have offset the equivalent of 2500 tonnes by partnering with Plannet Zero to invest in three carbon offsetting projects.
1. Biodiversity and rainforest protection in Peru: We help fund the conservation of the Tambopata-Bahuaja Biodiversity Reserve which conserves threatened tropical rainforest in an internationally-recognised biodiversity hotspot of the Peruvian Amazon.
2. Installation of wind farms in Turkey: We help fund the Fuatres wind farm in Turkey which improves the local community by creating employment, reducing reliance on fossil fuels, providing energy security and improving air quality.
3. Cookstove programme in Peru: We help fund poor communities in Peru with closed cooking technology that reduces emissions and improves health by removing smoke from inside homes and reducing wood use by up to 60%.
By saving food from waste and offsetting all our emissions, plus some extra, we have become a carbon positive company. This means our footprint is 50% smaller than the average juice company.
Most of our emissions occur in our supply-chain so we’re working further to reduce these emissions as part of our B Corp Climate Collective commitment to become Net Zero by 2030.
5. WE SAVE ENERGY
Our drinks are designed deliberately to be ambient.This means they can be stored at room temperature and, although they taste amazing fresh out the fridge, don’t need to be chilled.
Drinks that require chilling, like some health shots and juices, require energy intensive refrigerated storage and transport. By purposefully creating Flawsome! drinks without the need to be chilled, we have created drinks that are still good for you but are also good for the planet, with a smaller carbon footprint too!
6. WE GIVE BACK
We invest nearly 2% of our sales – not just our profit - to The Felix Project and Fare Share.
We are also on a mission to donate 1 million drinks to charities around the UK in the next 5 years. To date, we have donated 30,695 to people in need and every donation brings us that little bit closer to achieving our goal.
We’re currently raising funds to support Ukrainian people by committing 100% of sales from our limited edition No Planet B jumpers to charities in Ukraine. Support Ukraine with us and get your own limited edition jumper.
7. WE ARE COMMITTED TO SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS
We package our products with fully recycled cardboard and packing tissue that is FSC Certified (sourced from a forest and supply chain that is managed responsibly and sustainably), made from Acid Free Paper.
In 2021, we were able to remove shrink wrapping from all of our bottle cases and now all our cold-pressed juices are packed in recyclable cardboard boxes.
For 2022, we have introduced an easy peel label on our health shots range, making it easier for you to remove and recycle accordingly. We are also trialing a new label material for our cold-pressed juices and we are continuing to find solutions that will enable us to fully eliminate the shrink wrapping on our lightly sparkling cans multipack deliveries.
We use glass bottle and aluminium cans to support circularity because both materials can be indefinitely recycled without losing quality!
Our cold-pressed juices and health shots are packaged in glass bottles that are partially made from recycled glass (approx. 55% content of cullet). Whilst our lightly sparkling juice drinks are packaged in aluminium cans.
Did you know: Recycling aluminium takes 95% less energy than producing it from raw materials and the recycling process also generates only 5% of the greenhouse gas emissions. 75% of the almost one billion tonnes of aluminium ever produced is still in productive use, some having been through countless loops of its lifecycle!
We are also trying to do our bit by encouraging our customers to recycle our bottles and cans. Our ultimate goal is to create product packaging that is completely reusable whether by the consumer or through a Deposit Return Scheme, which is to be introduced across the whole of the UK by 2024.
Interested in our sustainability initiatives? Read our Impact Report.